Saturday, September 26, 2009

'5' & {21}



 image from Compendium, Inc.

Where will you be in 5 years?  Click The Five Book to see what it's all about.  I've had this book for a long while now with very good intentions of actually working in the book.  You see, I have this problem with pretty books that smell good (books smell oh so yummy) with their untattered and oh so perfect pages.  It may be the perfectionist in me or it may just very well be my lack of time and my list of to-do's so long that it's hard to focus on just one thing at a time with all the choices in front of me but I am going to sit down by October 1st and start my work in this book.  Five years is going to pass regardless so why not start now.

I am just completing day 18 in The {21} Challenge with the 21ers and the uber*cool Rhonna with only two days to go and I've been playing back in my mind the reasons why I wanted to take the challenge in the first place.  I'll be the first to admit that where I am now is not where I had envisioned myself being and that very thing has prompted the search I am on.  You see, my word for this year was 'REACH' and the reasoning behind it was personal on many different levels. 

This super cool piece of artwork is a one-of-a-kind from a beautiful and very talented chick who I am so very happy to call my friend.  Her name is C.D. Muckosky.  I met C.D. at inspired.08 which, as you may recall, was a completely unplanned last minute trip.  (I literally signed up two days before I left to go to North Carolina with someone I had met in a very strange way.)  C.D. and I kept in touch and I again met up with C.D. this year at inspired.09 and got to spend time with her.  (Lucky for me I am attending inspired.10 where she is one of the six core teachers ~ yippee!)  She is an amazing person and really reminds me of something that I often forget ~ that there are still beautiful, gentle, kind, sweet, generous and caring souls out there in this big, bad world of ours.  Anyway, on Saturday night I was hanging out with C.D. and a bunch of other fun girls in the workroom that is always there for attendees to gather and work on their art.  I was burned out by that time Saturday night (it was late) so I was basically along for the friendship and conversation instead of working on some of my art before I had to return to the real world the next morning.  Though truth be told, there was no way in the world that I was going to pull out anything remotely related to what I happen to call art that I had actually worked on when I knew the that the incredibly talented C.D. was going to be sitting right next to me.  Oh hell no.  I was so intimidated.  And if you see her art you will understand why so check her out and click on her link above.  Anyway, C.D. was working on little pieces of art which are just pages ripped from a book (we figured out after the piece was complete that we should totally not read what the words on the pages said *smile*) and doodles words and other lovlies in only the way C.D. does it and she happened to ask me what word I liked.  She had already been working on this piece when she asked me and when I told her that the word she was already working on was the word I chose for my 'one little word 2009' (in the spirit of Ali and her 'one little word' explained here) and that it could not be a more perfect word for me.  I swear it was serendipity.

So in the spirit of '5', The {21} Challenge and 'REACH'.......here's to the next chapter or two. 

P.S.  The biggest reason I chose the word 'reach' was because of this little saying "Reach for the moon, even if you miss you still land among the stars."  For me that said it all...everything I needed was right there in that little phrase because all I have to do is reach and as C.D. put it "reach higher than you can."  I am trying to reach higher, farther and stronger than I think I can one baby step at a time.

P.S.S.  Have you heard about this very unsettling story?  How about this one in Illinois or the one in New York.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...