Sunday, November 15, 2009

Ahh....finally.

**oops...actually tomorrow is the 16th and the beginning of the holiday music, not today the 15th...getting a little ahead of myself.**

As of today, Sirius has started playing holiday music and that makes me oh so happy.  I am so giddy every year when I can start listening to the songs that made me so happy as a little girl.  There is definitely something about traditional Christmas music and how it takes you back.  Last year we didn't have a traditional channel for some silly reason or another.  (Geez...now that I think of it last year was just one really screwed up holiday season for us on more than one level.)  I think it was last year that Sirius took over XM and I think everything was all whacked out which meant we didn't have the Traditions channel to listen to but this year it looks like they've gotten their ducks in a row, or shall I say stockings all hung by the chimney with care, and I will be enjoying some of my favorites.

Sweet hubby and I spent part of the day together at the mall gathering our free $10 American Express gift cards, one for each of us (thank you very much The Club at Stonebriar Centre).  We did do a little shopping but didn't buy much, mostly looking and gathering ideas.  We also grabbed some lunch at Manchu Wok.  It was actually really good but I will ignore just how much sodium I actually ingested. We came back home to get the kids to do our annual ornament shopping trip, after a swing through the Starbucks drive-thru, where we all pick out one ornament a year - the ones the kids pick out will go with them when they leave the nest - and we were pleasantly surprised by the kids having done the yard work without being asked to.  I cannot tell you what a feeling that was to know that they took the initiative to take care of it without being asked.  (Yes, I did tell them we were taking care of the lawn after we returned from the mall but I never, ever said they had to do it alone.)  I was definitely reminded why I have the best kids ever........and my how I love those two little souls.  They just make. me. happy.!  Our little shopping excursion was fun but I have to say that we were really not all that impressed with the selection of ornaments this year.  I'm not sure if it is a result of the economy or what but the selection is so much smaller and sorry to be a 'Debbie Downer' but not very good either.  Where we saw the biggest difference this year was at Hallmark where the choices were limited with a much smaller selection.  That's not to say they didn't have some good ornaments, the selection just wasn't like I remembered it being in past years.  But that truly wasn't what mattered....what mattered was the time we spent together and how much fun we had and did we ever have fun!

I have to say, though, that this ornament is awesome.  I did pick this one up at the Hallmark ornament premiere back in July.  IT!



"I'll get you, my pretty!"

image found here


And this one......this is great.  I'm not sure why I didn't pick this one up as my ornament this year.  I really couldn't find one and settled on a German glass glittered miniature church found at Kohl's that was quite vintage looking.  I might have to go back and pick this one up...I love it.  Click on the link below the image and you can hear the sound bite that goes along with it.

"Next stop:  The Twilight Zone"
image found here

My sweet girl has requested we put the tree up sometime next week before Thanksgiving day so the plan is to do just that.  I'd say we're getting the itch.....only another week to go.  And Sirius will be here helping us make memories with the favorites playing in the background.

And the plan is to see this, this and this over the next few weeks.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...