Friday, November 27, 2009

Black Friday




Why is it called Black Friday?  It sounds so morbid and awful.  And its sole purpose is to kick off the holiday season which totally doesn't really make sense since the reason for the season is the birth of Christ.  Maybe it gets its name from all the pushing, shoving and grabbing that takes place on this so-called fake holiday.  I get absolutely no enjoyment from shopping on Black Friday, though I did make it Michaels last night and for the most part everyone was polite.  I don't understand the hype.  Is it the "going in for the kill" mentality or the actual idea that you are getting a great deal.  Honestly the items I purchased last night weren't all that much cheaper (an extra 25% off regular and sale merchandise) than a regular sale that occasionally happens but I guess I got the hunt of searching, the anxious feeling of standing in line waiting to get in the store as well as the lovely wait in line to check out and head home out of my system.....that was until I woke up this morning before 5:00 a.m. with this nagging feeling that I needed to jump out of bed, throw on some clothes and head out the door to the nearest and best sale I could find.  Seriously, I think I am just programmed for it but the last time I did actually do that Circuit City was still in business and I was up and out of the house by 4:00 a.m. only to stand in a line that was wrapped around the back and to the opposite end of the strip mall just to purchase 7 buck Sims games for my baby girl from Santa.  Oh how times have changed!

I checked over at Wikipedia to see what it had to say about Black Friday.
The term "Black Friday" originated in Philadelphia in reference to the heavy traffic on that day. More recently, merchants and the media have used it instead to refer to the beginning of the period in which retailers go from being in the red (i.e., posting a loss on the books) to being in the black (i.e., turning a profit).

Click here to read all about it.

Then there is Cyber Monday, the Monday following the Thanksgiving holiday.  Okay...it's not like everyone is not broke from Black Friday. Click here to read all about it.  And I did my cybershopping today over at House of 3 which was a great deal ~ 50% off any purchase over $30!  Just added to my digi and hybrid files!  Love that place.  And I didn't have to fight any crowds or maneuver in awful traffic!

Big thanks to Heidi, Janet and Rhonna for this great gift!  Hop on over to their blogs to see the fun projects they are creating with the super*fun House of 3 goodies.  Now, where can I get a thumb drive cheap?  I need my own to transfer files so I can take a trip to Kinko's to print them off.  Ugh....where's the hubby when I need him?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...