Thursday, September 30, 2010

can't let this slip by

Oh my, it's been 50 years since the debut of one of my favorite cartoons of all time.  The Flintstones is 50 years old today!  The show debuted on ABC on September 30, 1960 and was the first animated prime-time series.  (Before you click to watch the video pause the music on the side bar to the right.)


I used to watch The Flintstones and The Jetsons religoiusly when I was a kid....really loved them both and to this day I still do.  After thinking about it I think there may be a reason for that.  I honestly think it had something to do with the idea of a wholesome, tight-knit family and how that intrigued me.  The mom's were home to take care of the family unless, of course, you were Mrs. Jetson and had a robot for a maid.  The dads went off to work at jobs where they had asses for bosses.  That totally was the way it was at my house, minus the maid and the wholesome tight-knit family.  The Flintstones had wonderful friends who were neighbors which is always a huge perk.  With the Jetsons it was 360 degrees opposite of The Flintstones since they were flying around in flying saucers as their transportation and everything was so "techy" even then.  Maybe a hopeful peek into the new millennium?  I think my love of these two shows was related to me truly wanting something that I really longed for in my family.

Here's a little something that makes me shake my head though:

It is so funny to think that they actually were able to broadcast this commercial on TV.  A family cartoon selling cancer sticks is so not cool.  We all know that this so would not fly in this day and age.
I say BOO to Winston Cigarettes

Happy 50th birthday to The Flintstones!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...