Wednesday, November 14, 2007


A Very Special Birthday....


I am very blessed to have been able to share in the First Birthday of my niece. My sister picked out this completely adorable cake with the duckies on it. Siennah loves ducks and so does her Auntie so needless to say I completely agreed that it was the most appropriate cake for the occasion. We had a little family party complete with an a capella Happy Birthday, led by her older sister Hannah, and a 'smash' cake for the special girl of honor.

Siennah wasted no time checking out what that big round yummy-looking thing was with a bright yellow '1' on it, first sticking her fingers into the icing and rubbing it between her fingers. After that she was onto sticking them into the cake and mashing it up. When she finally brought her cake-coated hands to her mouth for a tasting, she decided she liked it and really proceeded to tear said cake apart. She was so happy she was clapping her cake-gloved hands together while the remains of the cake on her hands splattered everywhere. She was quite proud of herself and also a huge mess! After bathing her, my sister actually hosed off the booster chair ~ that's how much fun she had.

It's a fairly short visit for me but a very important occasion regardless. There was no way that I would miss this big event since I was lucky enough to have been able to share in Hannah's first birthday three short years ago. Being close to my nieces is something that I feel very strongly about, since my children have such an amazing relationship with my sister and brother-in-law. Some things are just too important to me to miss and this is one of those things.

I am so thankful that I have a sister who is such an amazing and beautiful person and I am also grateful for the close relationship that we have as some families are not as lucky as we are. I wish everyone could experience what we have, a bond I realized was much stronger than I could have ever imagined after my heart surgery two years ago this past July. I cherish every moment I get to spend with her and her beautiful family regardless of how short the trip may be. I will take what I can get, life is too short to dwell on what you cannot have.

1 comment:

A mom said...

Its great that you are able to do those things. I would be miserable if my brother and his clan lived so far away. I am lucky enough to have them living about 5 blocks down the street.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...