Monday, December 10, 2007

ANOTHER DREARY DAY...

but I am loving it! For those of you that don't know, my heart is really settled in a Northern Girl's body (which I am), one who truly enjoys the sights of winter, the frost on the window panes and the peacefulness of the falling snow. While we don't have any snow, it's quite cold here, a chilly 32 degrees right now with the wind chill. Yesterday I made the best chicken and dumplings ever served in the cute Tuscan Tidbits by Southern Living at Home. *Major cute factor!* This was the first time I had attempted it because I had never found a simple recipe and needless to say we were very happy with the results. And today for lunch it tasted even better!

Here is the recipe if you'd like to try it yourself:

Quick Chicken and Dumplings
from Southern Living All Time Favorite Recipes Volume 1 which I picked up at the supermarket sometime earlier this year. Another of my weaknesses is recipe books because I love to cook and my family really loves it when I do.

4 cups water
3 cups chopped cooked chicken (I used a rotisserie chicken from the supermarket)
2 10 3/4-ounce cans cream of chicken soup (I used Health Request Campbells)
2 teaspoons of chicken bouillon granules
1 teaspoon seasoned pepper
1 6-ounce can refrigerated buttermilk biscuits

Bring first 5 ingredients to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring often. Separate biscuits in half, forming 2 rounds and cut each round in half. Drop biscuit pieces one at a time into the boiling mixture, stir gently. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally 15-20 minutes or until dumplings are cooked.


Dessert last night was my ever famous banana cream pie and was it sure good.

Best ever Banana Cream Pie

1 Pillsbury pie crust
cinnamon and sugar
1 1/2 cups milk
1 small box vanilla instant pudding
1 cup Cool Whip
3 bananas

Place pie crust in pan, poke bottom and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Cook in 450 degree oven for 8-9 minutes. Cool. Combine milk and pudding mix and whisk until thoroughly combined. Next, add 1 cup Cool Whip and whisk together. Slice three bananas into the bottom of cooked pie crust and top with pudding mixture. Top with remaining Cool Whip and refrigerate. (I used Lite Cool Whip and Skim milk for fewer calories without losing any great taste.)

Major YUMM-O factor here!

And while I'm talking about how much I love the North I'll be sure to remember that while I am outside at bootcamp tonight for kickboxing..........thank goodness for Under Armor. At least it's pink and black, two of my most favorite colors. Shhhh...don't tell Eric I broke the bank just to stay warm.

1 comment:

A mom said...

Hey woman! I am trying to diet here. Your food looks sooooo yummmyyyy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...